Tycor Fire support package questioned
Fire Services fighting the blaze which took hold at the Old Jute Factory in Tycor, Waterford city. Photo: Noel Browne
On Thursday, May 21, councillors from the Metropolitan District gathered to speak about the ongoing fallout on the site of the Old Jute Factory.
The horrific blaze at Tycor Business Centre took hold on Saturday, May 9, and destroyed up to 40 businesses. While no injuries were reported, the fire has caused serious damage environmentally. In the days following the blaze, Waterford City and County Council (WCCC) confirmed the presence of asbestos on the site. Clean-up operations are still ongoing and, as of time of publication, WCCC stated: "Based on the current controls, the containment of the remaining material within the site boundary, and the continuation of monitoring, these works are not expected to present a risk to individuals living near the site, however, Waterford City and County Council will continue to monitor air quality in the area."
Independent Councillor Donal Barry questioned if the Government's €750,000 support package would go far enough to help the people who have lost their livelihoods. He compared the sum to the Dáil bike shed that cost taxpayers €336,051.
Cllr Barry said: "What happened at Tycor Business Centre is an economic disaster for Waterford. Up to 40 businesses displaced, around 200 jobs at risk and community services are affected there. For many people there, that's years of hard work and investment just gone up in smoke, and yet, the total Government support package announced was €750,000.
"To put that in perspective, that's more than twice the reported cost of a bicycle shelter at Leinster House and less than the cost of a public park and Art House on Thomas Street.
"I think many workers, families and business owners in Waterford will find it hard to understand how the destruction of a major employment and enterprise centre of the city is being treated with short-term sticking plaster. We need a serious economic recovery plan."
Cllr Barry asked about efforts to secure funding from both national and European Union bodies, noting that the disaster has highlighted the lack of spaces for small to medium businesses in Waterford.
Director of Economic Development at Waterford City and County Council Ned Brennan responded: "Our LEO (Local Enterprise Office) has worked with each of those individuals and groups over the last week and a half and each group has engaged regarding the system, in preparing applications and assessments of what their needs are.
"Each grouping has been appointed a mentor and they're working through the process that was outlined by the Department of Enterprise and Employment."
Councillor Eamon Quinlan (Fianna Fáil) asked about the existence of a "large amount of telecommunications equipment strapped to the chimney of the Jute Factory in Tycor."
He said: "This provides wi-fi for much of the northern suburbs of the city."
Cllr Quinlan asked if Council had checked if these telecommunications had been damaged by the fire.
Mr Brennan said: "There's been no reports of any issue with telecommunications equipment or it being damaged and there's been no reports that telecommunications equipment had been damaged. I presume that would be a matter for the owner of the premises because he would have given the operators of the telecommunications equipment permission to put their equipment in that location."
The Tycor Business Centre is, for the majority, under the ownership of the Causeway Group.


