Tuesday, March 06, 2018


Dylan Moran and his team celebrate his win over Gyula Rozsas on the undercard of Last Man Standing at the National Stadium on Saturday night. Photos: Ricardo Guglielminotti/Last Man Standing/thefightingirish.ie.

What a couple of weeks it’s been for Kilmacthoms welterweight, Dylan ‘The Real Deal’ Moran.
It all began in Bury on Friday night two weeks ago when Dylan scored a four-round points win over late replacement Kevin McCauley at the Village Hotel in Bury as he took his professional record to four wins from four fights.
Speaking to Irish-Boxing.com he said the the late switch from Hungarian journeyman Georgo Vari to the rugged and larger McCauley was no issue for him,“it doesn’t make a difference who it is, a fights a fight and I’ve got to win.”
The 23-year-old described how “the fight went well, it had everyone on their feet and it was exciting. Kevin McCauley is a tough customer and we entertained. At certain points the ref was going to stop it but I’m glad he didn’t because I was enjoying it. Everybody loves to get the knockout and if it’s there, I’m taking it – but having guys that have it out with you is just as exciting. I love a tear-up. I don’t think I’m ever going to be in a boring fight. You learn a lot more about yourself in tough fights don’t gain much from the quick knockouts.”
With that fight out of the way it was time to move on to his first Irish fight, at the National Stadium in Dublin on the undercard of the successful Last Man Standing event. And Moran couldn’t wait for his pro debut in his home country.
“Before I went pro I said I’ll move to England, build my profile, and then have a fight at home and now it’s here. I’ve got a big following who have made the trips over and back to England and now it’s the first one at home. I remember being at all the pro shows in the stadium as a kid picturing myself fighting there and now it’s here I’m more than ready and excited to put on a show.”
Things definitely didn’t go to plan preparations wise. First Dylan’s flights were cancelled and then he his ferry was cancelled as he battle the Beast from the East and Storm Emma to get home in time. In the end he missed the weigh-in, due to being snowed in at home in Kilmacthomas and his gear also got lost in the post. Even his manager, Kieran Farrell never made it due to his flight being cancelled. But with the help of Crumlin BC for gear and cornermen, Dylan lined up against Gyula Rozsas of Hungary and without little fuss Dylan made it 5-0 with a TKO in round three after a succession of big left hooks.
After the fight Dylan was delighted to finally make his Irish debut a winning one and is looking forward to the next challenge already.
On Twitter his manager, Kieran Farrell (@Kfthepeoplesgym) said: “Well done Dylan Moran, real fighting kid! Didn’t have anything including a pair of boxing shorts and boxing boots turned up & still knocked his opponent out, showing Ireland why he is the real deal! Take notice. Massive thanks to the Crumlin boys Philip & Andy for help.”

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist