Tuesday, November 21, 2017





Maxol WIT Wildcats’ Helena Rohan in action against Brunell at the Mercy Gym on Saturday night. Photo: Noel Browne.

Women’s National Super League

This loss to Brunell from Cork will take some time for Wildcats to get over as they had a comfortable win in their sights, before a series of turnovers and unforced errors allowed the opposition back into this Super League clash.
Brunell were quick into their stride from the tip off with American Brenda Bey hitting a string of unbelievable shots to race into a 2-10 lead after just four minutes.  Soon it was Wildcats’ turn through American Meghan Donohue who netted 13 points in six minutes to leave the home side trailing 23-25 at the end of the first quarter.
Things gradually improved for Wildcats with baskets from team captain Cathy Kavanagh and Helena Rohan. A brace from Donohue was cancelled out by similar scores from Brunells American Madelyn Ganzer before Wildcats Jasmine Walker (USA) and Ruthie Leavey added further scores to leave Wildcats in control leading by 12 points (45-33) at the half way stage.
The third quarter saw scores exchanged as the pace of the game dipped through key players tiring. The high point of this period was a massive three pointer from  Jasmine Walker.  At the end of the quarter Wildcats were still up by 12 (58-46) with the final 10 minutes to play.  Brunell threw caution to the wind and went full court press in a effort to pull this game from the jaws of defeat. Immediately they were successful reducing the deficit to six points with seven minutes remaining. Baskets from Steph O’Shea and Cathy Kavanagh left Wildcats up 62-54 with five minutes to the final buzzer.  From there to the game’s end Wildcats managed just a single basket while some exceptional shooting from Brunell left the sides tied 64-64 when time was up and two tired teams had to settle the outcome in five minutes overtime. However momentum was with the visitors and they made Wildcats pay for not putting the game to bed in normal time outscoring them ten points to seven.  Final score of 71-74 was greeted by silence by the numbed Wildcats supporters as they found it difficult to believe that their favourites had managed to lose a game that for so long victory was theirs.  No doubt coaches and players will have sleepless nights over what should have been but they must quickly put it behind them as they face DCU in the capital this Saturday night. The Dubliners are in mean form lately considering their 36-101 demolition of Panthers in Portlaoise last Saturday.

Comments are closed.

Contact Journalist: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist