Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Limerick League 1


The Wateford League 3



It was the day that the Waterford players had dreamed of since their opening win in the group stages against the Cork League as the dreams of ending a 22-year wait for FAI Youth Inter League Cup glory turned into reality as the Waterford League secured the title with a 3-1 over the Limerick League at Jackman Park on Sunday last.
Speaking after the game, a delighted Waterford Youth captain Luke Walsh said, “It’s amazing and I’m delighted. I didn’t think that it would happen for us at the start of the year. It was hard to see how it was going to happen because we were getting nobody up training with us every week.”

“It was really tough at the start but when we really got going, we knew that nobody were going to stop us especially when we won against Cork in the first game. We’ve grown as a squad since then and we’re just delighted to be National champions.
“We weren’t happy with our first half performance again today so at half time going into the dressing room, we knew that there was going to be words had and in fairness our manager did get onto us but it’s his words that gave us that lift in the second half.
“It really gave us the drive that we needed to go on and win the game. We got off to the perfect start in the second half with the two goals but made life hard for ourselves with the penalty before that third goal in injury time. To be champions is special and we’re over the moon.”

“It means so much to us as a group of players and it’s more than what we could have imagined. It’s 22 years since Waterford have won this cup and it means so much to us as a group of players that we are finally the people that have won the title.
“It also means so much to Anthony Brown, Dukie Whelan, Billy, Keith and Maria. They have worked hard with us and it means as much to them as it does to us. We’re also delighted for the league that we represent. They got behind us from the start of the year until the finish here today.
“I didn’t think that the final whistle was ever going to sound. Our keeper Shane was doing everything fast and I was fit to kill him really! We got the job done and I’m delighted to be captain of the team that has finally brought the Youth cup back to Waterford. We’ve made history and we’re the bunch to do it.”

Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist