Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Southend United 1


Waterford Crystal 1


Pictured at the RSC recently were Derek Hearne (shootout hero against Southend), Jason Halloran, Davy Walsh and Colm Clancy from Waterford Crystal FC Premier team receiving a sponsored set of jerseys from Joe Crowley, JEC Security. Photo: Noel Browne.

Munster Junior Cup 3rd Round

Waterford Crystal goalkeeper Derek Hearne was the hero for his side as he saved two penalties in helping his side to book their place in the fourth round of the Munster Junior Cup with a penalty win over Southend United on Sunday afternoon last.
After the hosts put Crystal under pressure with a number of decent corner kicks early in the game, they could have found themselves a goal behind on 11 minutes when Nathan Phelan outpaced defender Aaron O’Neill but his low shot was saved by keeper Sean Walsh.
Southend went close less than two minutes later when FawazIshola played the ball into the path of David Croke on the left side of the penalty area but his well struck right-footed shot whistled inches wide of Derek Hearne’s far post.
It was Croke that went close again to putting the home side in front on 22 minutes when he got his head on the end of a right-wing Paul Carey free kick but his header at the post was just wide of the target.

The crossbar denied the visitors the lead goal on the stroke of the half time whistle when Niall O’Toole turned provider for Nathan Phelan on the right side of the area but his close range effort came crashing back off the woodwork.
Crystal could have struck the front five minutes into the second half when Gavin McLawrence ran to the near post to meet a right-wing O’Toole cross but his header went over the crossbar.
Barry Ryan was the next player to go close for Crystal with 68 minutes on the clock when he latched onto a fine through ball from Nathan Phelan but his effort was the left was well saved by Southend keeper Sean Walsh.
Sean O’Loughlin could have done better with a chance that fell his way less than three minutes later when he got on the end of a David Croke cross from the right but the striker failed to get enough power behind his shot that was saved by Derek Hearne.
Southend defender Aaron O’Neill came to his side’s rescue on 75 minutes when Barry Ryan pulled the ball onto his right foot 20 yards from goal but his rocket effort was blocked on the line by the full back.
Michael Merrigan had a glorious chance to put his side in front five minutes later when he beat the offside trap to meet a pass from Mark Phelan but he shot straight at the advancing Sean Walsh from deep inside the penalty area.

The breakthrough goal did arrive for Crystal on 84 minutes when Shane Rochford sent Nathan Phelan clear down the right side and he drilled an unstoppable right-footed shot to the far corner of the net past a helpless Sean Walsh.
Paul Carey did have a chance to level the tie less than two minutes later when he took possession of the ball on the right but he fired into the side netting before Nathan Phelan had a chance at the other end however keeper Walsh saved.
There was one final twist in the third minute of second half injury time when Southend equalised when they won a corner kick that wasn’t clear and it was FawazIshola that crossed for Daniel O’Sullivan to finish at the back post.
After Andrew Power missed a good chance in the second period of extra time, he did score what proved to be the winner in the penalty shootout as Crystal won 4-3 with Mark Phelan, Colm Clancy and Shaun Corcoran also scoring.
Waterford Crystal keeper Derek Hearne was the real hero however he saved two penalties including the decider when he denied Daniel O’Sullivan, whilst also saving from Southend full back Aaron O’Neill.

SOUTHEND UNITED: Sean Walsh, Chris Raymond, Aaron O’Neill, Daniel O’Sullivan, Colin Delahunty, Chris Dempsey, FawazIshola, Armhed Gashi (Damien Kelly ’67), David Croke (Peter Crowley ’88), Paul Carey, Sean O’Loughlin
W CRYSTAL: Derek Hearne, Niall Kirby, Shaun Corcoran, Colm Clancy, Jason Phelan, Mark Phelan, Niall O’Toole (Shane Rochford ’77), Barry Ryan, Gavin McLawrence(Andrew Power ’64), Nathan Phelan, Michael Merrigan (Kandwani Nwgira ’85)
Referee: Jimmy McGrath.

Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist