Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Alan Keane, Gary Rodgers, Dane Massey, Paddy Barrett, Brian Gartland, Andy Boyle and Ciaran O'Connor celebrate at the end of the game 6/10/2016Paddy Barrett, far right, celebrates with his Dundalk team-mates after they were crowned as League of Ireland Champions on Sunday night. Photo: Inpho.
Waterford’s Paddy Barrett was celebrating once again over the course of last weekend when Dundalk won their SSE Airtricity League of Ireland Premier Division title in a row when they got the better of Bohemians at Oriel Park by two goals to one.
Barrett has now won two league titles with Stephen Kenny’s side and can look forward to a cup final meeting with Cork City in a couple of weeks time. Dundalk were oh so close to causing yet another Europa League shock when just going down to Zenit St. Petersburg 2-1 on Thursday last in Tallaght.


The Waterford U-16 Inter League side got their campaign off to a winning start with an impressive 3-1 victory over the South Tipperary League in their first game of the Munster competition played at Cahir Park on Sunday afternoon last.
Having started the game brightly the Waterford boys created several clear cut chances but failed to convert. As the half wore on the hosts created a couple of chances of their own but they failed to find a way past Waterford keeper Ben Kirwan.
John Furlong’s side were celebrating the lead goal in the contest with 35 minutes on the clock when Greg Waters picked up possession of the ball on the edge of the penalty area and he beat the home keeper with a cracking drive that flew into the back of the net.
It has to be said that South Tipperary did grow in confidence and they were back on level terms ten minutes into the second half when the hosts broke on the counterattack before finding the net to really bring themselves back into the game.
But Waterford bounced back and began to dominate again creating chance after chance before regaining the lead on the hour mark when Abbey Yusuf did well inside the penalty area to drill a close range shot to the back of the net.
The game was put to bed five minutes later when Daniel Hannigan linked up well inside the penalty area to finish well into the bottom corner and seal the victory with a comprehensive 3-1 victory for a Waterford side that will face the Cork League in their next game.

After wins against Andorra and Kazakhstan as reported in last week’s issue saw the Republic of Ireland U-17s already qualify for the next phase of the UEFA Championships, Lee O’Connor skippered the side to maintain a 100% record when they defeated Greece in their final game on Wednesday last.
The Boys in Green will now compete in the Elite Phase in Spring 2017 with a place at the Finals tournament in Croatia next May at stake and after topping the group, it does mean that Ireland could take a top seeding into the draw, which will take place in early December.
Ireland’s win came courtesy of a well worked goal after 21 minutes. Aaron Bolger split the Greek defence with a perfect pass through to Gavin Kilkenny. Kilkenny surged into the area, whipped an inviting ball across the area where Aaron Connolly pounced to notch the only goal of the game.


Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

Soccer excellence honoured at Park Awards

Mary Ryan-Jennings launches Dublin Marathon

More by this Journalist

Mary Ryan-Jennings launches Dublin Marathon

Have your say on Marine Spatial Plan