Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Waterford United 4


Rockmount 0


Blues Eoin V Rock

Blues’ two goal hero, Eoin Rhodes in full flight in his side’s win over Rockmount in the EA Sports League Cup at the RSC.

EA Sports League Cup 1st Round
Waterford United will meet Cork City in the second round of the EA Sports League Cup after they defeated Munster Senior League side Rockmount at the RSC on Eastern Monday last as the Blues cruised to a four goals to nil success.
After a battling away win against Cabinteely on the Saturday night before, Blues boss Roddy Collins made a host of changes for this cup clash but it didn’t stop his side keeping another clean-sheet in a dominant 90 minute display that was worthy of a place in the next round.
The Blues struck the front on seven minutes when midfielder Darren Murphy picked out striker Eoin Rhodes, who showed great composure to place the ball past the visiting keeper Edward Kenny from just inside the Rockmount penalty area

Rockmount could have levelled the tie four minutes later when Jamie Murphy got on the end of a through ball from Daniel Aherne but Blues’ keeper Corey Chambers did well to keep out a powerful header from the attacker.
Aaron O’Connor struck the woodwork for the Blues on 20 minutes when he let fly with a cracking strike from 25 yards that came back off the post before a second goal for the home side did arrive eight minutes later.
Jimmy Dermody stepped over a free kick from the left side of the penalty area that saw Dean Broaders head the ball into the path of Rhodes and he was on hand to find the net for the second time in the tie.
It was Dermody that put the game to bed for the Blues with a third goal on 33 minutes when he raced onto a fine through ball from Aaron O’Connor to get a final touch of the ball ahead of the Rockmount keeper from deep inside the penalty area.

John Gaffney did have a chance to pull a goal back for the visitors to the RSC with the first chance of the second half when he got on the end of a left-wing corner kick from Alan O’Connor but he just couldn’t keep his header on target as the ball went over the bar.
Rockmount conceded a fourth goal on 59 minutes when Dean Broaders took possession of the ball on the left-side of the penalty area after a pass from O’Connor before he beat Jordan O’Connor, who replaced the injured Kenny in the first half.
Blues sub Jake Mooney, who had come on for Eoin Rhodes on the hour mark went close six minutes after his introduction but his lob from 30 yards went narrowly over the crossbar before the rest of the game saw the home side ease to success.

WATERFORD UNITED: Chambers, Reidy, Butler, Nugent, Dermody, Murphy (Buckley `53), O’Connor, McGuire, Tobin, Rhodes (Mooney `60), Broaders
ROCKMOUNT: Kenny (Jordan O’Connor `36), Mannix, Keane (O’Driscoll `46), David Aherne (Carson `46) Byrne, Gaffney, Buckley, Lonergan, Murphy, Daniel Aherne, Alan O’Connor.
Referee: Patrick O’Connor.

Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

Wildcats click to down DCU

More by this Journalist

Wildcats click to down DCU