Friday, February 26, 2016

Cork 1-14


Waterford 0-20


Jake Dillon with Lorcan McLoughlin, Stephen McDonnell, Colm Spillane and Damien Cahalane 20/2/2016

Waterford’s Jake Dillon is surrounded by Lorcan McLoughlin, Stephen McDonnell, and Damien Cahalane of Cork during their NHL meeting at Pairc Ui Rinn. Photo: INPHO/Donall Farmer.

Allianz National Hurling League: Division 1A: Round 2: Cork V Waterford – Score by Score

First Half
1 – 20 mins. – Maurice Shanahan (F) and Bill Cooper exchange early wides as the game takes off at a cracking pace. Kevin Moran opens the scoring with a fine point in the fourth minute and Patrick Horgan levels matters from a free two minutes later. TheWaterford defence moves into dominant mode against a five man Cork attack and Maurice Shanahan points a free following a foul on Jamie Barron followed by a big score from Darragh Fives. Shanahan is wide following another foul on Barron but Waterford’s dominance in the middle third is emphasised as Austin Gleeson sends over another long range point in the 10th minute. Pat Horgan finds space to pull back a point for Cork but Shanahan replies in kind after Moran is fouled. Daniel Kearney points after intercepting careless pass in midfield and Cork move to within a point of the visitors with a Brian Lawton point in the 16th minute after Lorcan McLoughlin receives the first yellow card of the game. A short free by Maurice picks out Jamie Barron on the ‘65’ and he puts two points between the teams again. Fives and Lehane are both wide but the two point margin does not reflect the overall superiority with twenty minutes played.
21 – 35 mins. – Gleeson makes a great catch and sends Bennett on a run towards goal. The Ballysaggart man is hauled down and Shanahan puts Waterford three clear. A cracking strike by Curran is saved for a ‘65’ by Nash and Shanahan makes it a four point game in the 25th minute. Conor Lehane keeps Cork in touch with a 26th minute point but from Stephen O’Keeffe’s puck out Patrick Curran makes a great catch and strikes directly over the bar. The hard working Jake Dillon increases the Waterford lead further but Patrick Horgan cancels the score from a free inside his own half in the 29th minute. Gleeson and Bennett add to Waterford’s wide total from scoring positions but Curran collects a well directed side line cur from Gleeson to open a five point lead again. A late point from a Horgan free leaves Cork flattered to be just four points behind at half time on a score of Waterford 0 – 11, Cork 0 – 7.

Second Half
36 – 45 mins. – Cork come out for the second half with Stephen Moylan replacing Daniel Kearney in midfield and Alan Cadogan taking over from Willie Leahy in attack. Waterford are quick out of the traps as Shane Bennett is fouled and Shanahan points. Colin Dunford follows up with a point before Cadogan wins a free with his first touch and Horgan points for Cork. Lehane is wide for Cork before Gleeson puts Waterford six points clear again. Cadogan shows his pace and is narrowly wide but from the puck out Shane Bennett gains possession and sends over for a seven point lead in the 43rd minute.
46 – 55 mins. – Dillon and Lehane are both wide from good positions as Cork bring Mark Ellis on board for William Egan. Shanahan is wide before Gleeson shows great vision in picking out Jamie Barron and the midfielder sends over a delightful point from the right win. Cork continue to ring in the changes with Cormac Murphy replacing Spillane in a restructured half back line. Patrick Horgan points from play and Patrick Curran replies in kind before a wayward pass in midfield gifts Brian Lawton a simple point in the 50th minute. Cork are coming more into the game but are penalised for a pick off the ground and Maurice Shanahan retains his side’s eight point lead from the free. Aidan Walsh lifts Cork with a massive point from a side line cut and after Gleeson and Lawton exchange wides Alan Cadogan follows up to cut the deficit to six points.
56 – 70 mins. – Colin Dunford sends over a point amidst confusion as Aidan Walsh is injured while being dispossessed and the score is not registered on the stadium board. Brian O’Halloran replaces Shane Bennett in the Waterford attack as Cork begin to show greater urgency. Conor Lehane points in the 60th and 61st minutes as Tom Devine comes into the game for Patrick Curran. Bill Cooper receives a yellow card for a wild pull on Colin Dunford but Maurice is wide from the free. Paudie O’Sullivan replaces McLoughlin in the Cork attack and, either side of an Austin Glees/on point from a long range free in the 66th minute, we saw Maurice Shanahan and Alan Cadogan both red carded for what appeared retaliation in off the ball incidents. The temperature was rising on both sides as we saw further yellow cards for Fives and McCarthy with Anthony Nash and Michael Walsh also censured for a little grapple after Walsh attempted to slow things down by obstructing Nash in taking a quick free. With the game gone into four minutes of added time Cork continued to put on late pressure and with Mark Ellis heading for goal he was brought down by Barry Coughlan at the expense of a yellow card for the defender. Horgan’s only option was to shoot for goal and his low drive beat the six man wall to hit the back of the net with two minutes remaining on the clock. With just one goal between the teams Waterford were now coming under pressure and when possession was lost trying to play the ball short out of defence Padraig O’Sullivan broke through for a shot at goal but Stephen O’Keeffe was equal to the effort and the ball was cleared. In the last action of the game Cork were awarded a free just outside the ‘45’. Horgan’s shot is low but Waterford come away with the ball as the final whistle sounds.

Comments are closed.

By Phil Fanning
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist