Wednesday, March 05, 2014

EXTENSIVE damage caused across county Waterford and particularly in places like Tramore, Passage East and Cheekpoint during the height of January’s storms can be largely repaired with confirmation that the Department of the Environment is to allocate €7.4m to start the work.

Tramore Engineer, Ken Walsh said that an application for just over €9m had been submitted to the Department but they were delighted to receive €7.378m and a once off reimbursement of €200,000.

As word of the funding came through on Friday last Ken Walsh said that Waterford Co. Council had submitted a second multi-million euro application in respect of damage caused by the February storms.

Announcing the applications last week Minister for the Environment, Phil Hogan said, “The sums allocated are generally in line with funding requests made, except that requests for funding of new coastal protection works have been separated and forwarded to OPW for consideration.” He added, The National Directorate of Fire & Emergency Management has been working with local authorities for the past two weeks to compile a comprehensive picture of the damage and the costs associated with severe weather in the period from 27 Jan to 17 February.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford News

Waterford Airport announce CEO departure

Brave shopkeeper struggles with culprit

More by this Journalist

€193,300 Lotto joy for Waterford family

Overcrowding at UHW emergency department

Road closures for Harvest Festival